Friday, January 8, 2010

Huckleberry dreams

I over slept today and didn't have enough time to bake what I wanted to, so will save it for another day.  I will admit that I am quite the procrastinator.  So I thought I would share this recipe that my mom used to make on a regular bias when I was living at home, maybe I suggested it one or a dozen times whose to say. My mom likes to make pies, but I much prefer fruited cakes. Ok, just looking that the photos is making my mouth water.  I need to remember to bring home some huckleberries when I visit my mom. She usually gathers them her self from the woods as they are not widely available and don't grow well in her garden. Enjoy.

 Huckleberry Cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour divided
1 cup huckleberries or blueberries
2 teaspoons baking power
salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

whipped cream for topping

In a mixer bowl, cream 1 cup of butter (at room temp.) and 1 cup sugar together until the mixture is very light. Add 3 large eggs, one by one, beating after each addition. Beat in 1 cup buttermilk.

Sift 2 cups of flour. Take 1/4 cup flour and mix with 1 cup of huckleberries (if you don't have huckleberries, blueberries fresh or frozen thawed will work). In medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 3/4 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking power, and a pinch of salt. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Fold in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and floured huckleberries. Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 8 inch square baking tin, Bake in a 375 deg (Fahrenheit) oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is nicely browned, or when tester comes out clean.

(From Wildwood: Cooking from the source in the Pacific Northwest by Cory Schrieber)

No comments:

Post a Comment